Tuesday, November 28, 2000

Clutch, COC, and 60 Watt Shaman-11-26-00 Emo’s Austin, Texas
Part One
Ohhhhhh! I reallly needed that show. As I hustle around Austin, beating the imported assholes down with my Super Stealth like powers, I get tired. As I try very hard to learn and improve my technological capabilities, my brain swells to enormous heretofor unknown capabilities. As, I struggle with the joys of single parenthood, my loneliness factor increases in non incremental amounts. As, I struggle to create my art, I face serious insecurities that could easily sleep if I just did not create the art. As, I ignore my art, I struggle with expression and basic sanity. Artists are funny this way, we need to create in order to live happily. So, I struggle to create, again fighting all the way. At many points in time this year, I have said to myself: Why am I struggling so hard? When is this going to get easier for me?

I realized something last night. When we have memories that rock our world, we are truly alive. When we live the stories that we tell our children, we are truly alive. When movies are made because we make them from our souls mouth, we are alive. I struggle because I want to have all that is worth struggling for. I live my life to the fullest because it is the best content…

Clutch was set to arrive at soundcheck at 3pm. 700pm they roll into town. Holiday traffic made a routine three hour trip last seven hours. Welcome to the new improved Austin. Our small town has a small highway. As they were arriving, I was trying to explain to a litlle child why he could not go to the Adult concert. He was pissed. He normally gets to participate in set up and soundcheck. Ahhhhh, next time ok, super baby? I dropped him off at the babysitters knowing that she would become his victim, instead of me. That’s why we pay them right?

I arrived at Emos at 730. I parked in Cracksville, (a small suburb of most big towns) as I ran to the venue, I noticed the dealers, the junkies and ther pets. Mental note, don’t walk back alone at 3am. I passed the bars that were deserted. After all most people had done ther partying earlier in the week. I felt Jack’s presence. It felt nice. I got the bar and noticed that a line had formed. I had thirty minutes until they opened the doors. I had to find Jack in order to get in and get that frothy beer I was dreaming about. I walked around the building and found the handy truck locked from the outside. No luck. I walked around the other side of the bar, going down a dark alley, following a chain link fence. I saw Clutch boys sitting on the benches inside the gates.
"Hey!" I yelled. They looked up at me startled and curious. They couldn’t recognize me through the fence. I said: It is me, Kris. Where is the Jackmeister? Of course, my question was answered with a question: "What are you doing out ther? Come on in!" I explained the door situation to them. The crew lead, Oscar walked over to me and gave me his passes. COOOL points for Oscar.. I accepted them and went to the front, walking through the door with pride. No-one gave me shit, I belonged. I looked like I belonged. Not to mention, I was welcome, in this world.

I feel blessed. All of this happens before I get to hear the music. Bonus!

No comments: