Saturday, December 09, 2000

Below is an email that I sent to my boss who was fired this week on a 20% budget cut/layoff strategy. We also lost two other key members of our team. This change was unforseen and a terrible business move. Note: never cut the team who is producing your product in a timely efficient manner.-email me at: k1331@yahoo.com
J:
Your last email was not the source of my stress. What happened at work was unexpected. It happened in a week that I was starting to get sick from cedar poisoning and in a week that we received an incomplete product. I was so sick this week. I thought I was gonna pass out. Turns out to be an inner ear infection. This explains the dizziness that I felt...
So, what did I do to heal myself? I rested for a day of meds and movies. Then I got up and went out and got smashed with my friends.
All the time, they were saying to me: Thank Gosh you still have a job that understands your respos with SAM and who know your talents. I was finally capable of explaining my loss to them as we sat ther, with a bottle of wine, at 1am.
I said: Imagine that we all work together. We work hard and we have a good team, a good schedule, and a good attitude and a decent product. Imagine that on this team are a few...idiots, but we support them because they are not horrible people. Imagine that all of your friends got laid off, but you and the...idiots. Now, everyone is looking at you to take the lead and support the team by yourself. However, they have given you a new boss. So, you don’t get a raise, or a new title. (which you wouldn’t want because one of your best friends just lost!) But, instead you get new responsibilities without anything but: "Thank Gosh you still have a job..."
My friends were mortified and begged me to find a new job. Our job may have been weird and uninvited at times. But we had a decent team and those things don’t come easy...
So, no your email was not the source of my stress. Maybe, it is my attitude about the entire situation. Maybe, it is just recognizing that what happened really sucked. Either way, I deserved to get drunk last night...
Thanks and take care...
Kchick

No comments: