Saturday, November 17, 2007

Patrice Pike
Hanover's-Pflugerville, Texas
November 16th, 2007

Again, I would like to say the most important part of having a good time is all about relying on the resources around you that assist you in researching the best time to be had. The Austin Chronicle is a must have. This city's information society runs around and because of the Austin Chronicle's persistance in bringing the reader the facts. Anyone in the Austin area can pick up a copy to find out who what where and when. Sometimes, they will try to hide the 12 dollar cover charge. But, its all good. Consider that a donation to the keep music alive foundation. And Honey, let me tell you something...If Austin doesnt keep the music, especially the talented beautiful music of Patrice Pike alive, then the Liberals are all correct; We're fucked.
I am from Austin. I left for DC on business in 2001, thirteen days before 9-11 and I never really came back until just the other day. I arrived in town after two crammed flights while sitting next to my very hyper anxious teenager. Mommy needed a beer and a cigarette. But, mommy is now 39 years old. So, its more like: Mommy needs a salad and a good poop. ha ha. it's all good.
I got into our truck at the airport and we hit 183, the windows were down, it was unseasonably cold outside. I didnt care. It smelled like Texas out there. I breathed the sunlight, the cold air, my long brown hair flew every where, even into my mouth. i breathed it in, the air, not my hair...this is what home smells like. my brain aknowledged this and my heart open with a loudy squeaky creaking sound. dare, i allow it? will i be ok? or will i be rejected and found with horrors of the east coast again? unfriendly mean people who will reach out and hurt you with their words, their fists, and their racially motivated hatred? the bias that will never allow you to be yourself because before you open your mouth, you are judged juried and hung with out the chance to testify. this is painful to the heart. a texas girl like me should never have to wonder to far to find friends, music, laughter, and a good time on a Friday night. So, as the wheels in our truck turned, as we were riding down 183, i let the fear, the anxiety, the nervousness go, outside the window, let it transmutate into boogers in another universe. What the fuck. I dont care. Just get away from me. So, I can breathe the right air. And I did. I cant get enough. I dont want to sleep. My mind hears a sound, I wake up in a dark hotel, my sexy husband is snoring lightly, sleeping deeply beside me and i say to myself, what can i do today in the next 24 hours? i tell myself, NO you wont think about the return flight, thanksgiving with prying relatives (who called me today at 730am!). Think about the cup of coffee in your hand and the success at hand. We're here at the last minute because we are closing a plan that has been long since been in pre-production and needs to go into production right away. RTFN.
Hubby got a job with UT, pays great, travels nice, great potential for the future, and with the best school in the whole wide world. So, we are very very very happy for him. Unfortunately, it comes at a time when we are very very very broke and can even afford to give a shit.
It keeps the old man up late at night thinking about shit he should forgive and move on into that deep sleep that we all wish we could enjoy. (that i am listening to right now) We got him taken care of by finding this position, changing our travel plans, and diverting to Texas asap. We are here on a wing and a prayer. I say that we couldnt be in better hands. And as much as I believe this to be true, the hubby wonders if Im right...As if...I say that we cant do anything about the things we cant do anything about. Instead, I see what can and needs to be done and I just do it. Well, I try and thats half the battle won right there. It brings confidence from the experience of surmounting insurmountable challenges. Confidence creates a certain glow. The glow is an attraction. We get the spotlight and then its time to move, do your thing and to do it well. last night i watched proof of this concept. Patrice Pike is a confident woman who glows in her talent. She is a versatile player, has great vocal range, and can play damn near anything. What more could you want from Friday night entertainment? Her songs sing of heart, soul, love, and the fire down below. It's all good. Her shows brings a unique crowd out to play. Long time friends, family, and new lovers will meet tonight at Patrice's house of blues, rock, ska, phunk, skat, and a blessed good time. Hallelujah!
If you get to Austin and wonder what you should do, pick up the Austin Chronicle. If you see Patrice Pike's name listed in the music calendar/venues section get out and go see the show. You wont have a bad time. You'll recharge the life doesnt suck batteries inside every cell of your body and you might, just might smile again...it's all good. That's right!

No comments: